Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tom Cullins



Tom Cullins
Vermont Barns
2010
watercolor on paper
9.75” x 9.75" (image)
Value: $400


“My childhood passion for painting, drawing, and photography led me to the profession of architecture, which I practiced for over 40 years, both in the United States and overseas. Throughout this career, painting and photography continued to be integral to my exploration of form, light, detail, and composition. My aesthetic direction in both of these pursuits has always ranged from representational to purely abstract, responding to the light and character of each location and culture. The joy of painting in Greece for over 30 years, mainly as a watercolorist, has allowed me to explore negative space and cubistic composition through its extraordinary light. Lately, I have used my background as an architect to explore more abstract composition, color, and complexity in my painting and photography. Finally, there is often the thrill of an unanticipated image that develops magically during the creative process of painting or shooting a photograph.”

No comments:

Post a Comment